Home & Business Energy Efficiency
How to Heat & Cool More Efficiently
Almost half of the energy you use in your home or business goes into heating and cooling. It only makes sense to be as energy-efficiency as you can throughout your home. Energy-efficiency in your home’s heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can not only have a significant effect on your utility bills, it can also make you more comfortable. Here are a few ways you can make your home’s heating and cooling systems function more efficiently.
- Replace your furnace air filter regularly—It only takes a few seconds to look at the filter. Once a month, especially during the winter months when you are using the furnace every day. A simple rule to follow is, if the filter looks dirty, change it. Even if it doesn’t look terribly dirty, you should change the filter every 3 months or so. Dirty furnace filters slow air flow and make the furnace work harder to keep you warm, wasting energy. A clean filter also prevents dust and dirt from building up inside the furnace, which can lead to expensive repairs or even shorten the life of your furnace.
- Invest in a seasonal maintenance program—A regular maintenance tune-up on both your heating and cooling systems can help them run properly, more efficiently, and save you lots in energy bills. It will also help your equipment last longer. Williams Heating & Cooling has a maintenance program for your home’s heating and cooling system.
- Have a programmable thermostat installed—Programming your thermostat to decrease your energy usage when you are away, or when you are sleeping, can help you save $150 or more each year in energy costs. Williams Heating & Cooling can install a programmable thermostat, and we’ll show you how to use it to start saving money right away.
- Seal air leaks in your heating and cooling ducts—If there are gaps or areas where air is escaping from your duct work you could be wasting lots of energy. Sealing these air leaks and even insulating the ducts can help both your heating and cooling system improve efficiency and performance by as much as 20% or more.
- Install more energy-efficient heating and cooling systems—HVAC equipment that is 10 years or older is probably not functioning as efficiently as it should be, especially if it is not Energy Star qualified. Have the energy-efficiency experts at Williams Heating & Cooling do a thorough analysis on your system to determine if new equipment is necessary. If a new system is required, we’ll make sure it’s the correct size for your home.
If you are looking to replace your old heating or cooling system with something more efficient, contact us today! Choose any of the buttons below. If you are on a mobile device you can Text or Call us by clicking one of the first two buttons below. If you are on a computer, click Email Us to fill out an easy form. We’ll get back to you shortly.